To strengthen the competitiveness of the agriculture and fisheries sector, we, at the ATI, develop, implement, and monitor training, education and advisory services for our stakeholders involved in different commodities and industries.
- Agricultural Development Officers of the Community (AgRiDOC) - We aim to ensure the future of agricultural extension by producing a new breed of extension and development officers through this initiative under the research project on “Improving Technology Promotion and Delivery thru Capability Enhancement of the Next Generation of Rice Extension Professionals and other Intermediaries” or IPaD. This is made possible through our collaboration with the Department of Agriculture (DA) Rice Program, Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice) and International Rice Research Institute (IRRI).
- Training of Trainers - Through our network of training centers, we conduct training programs on various technologies on rice production for agricultural extension workers (AEWs) who, in turn, will equip rice farmers with new knowledge, attitude and skills.
- Season-long Training - We provide intensive training programs for AEWs and farmers which include hands-on activities on land preparation, crop management, machinery operation, among others.
- Rice Crop Manager
2. Corn and Cassava
- Farmer-Scientist Training Program (FSTP) - We aim to uplift the condition of poor farmers through this corn-based partnership program for sustainable agricultural development. FSTP is an integrative three-phase agricultural research, development and extension methodology. We capacitate these farmers on becoming farmer-scientists by providing training on values development and farming technologies. This is in line with Executive Order No. 710, Series of 2008 also known as the “Nationwide Adoption of the Corn-based Farmer-Scientists Research, Development and Extension Training Program for Sustainable Agricultural Development to Liberate Poor Farmers from the Bondage of Poverty and Hunger.”
- School-on-the-Air - Through our network of training centers, we offer distance learning programs through radio on the complete package of technology on corn production for farmers.
- Training of Trainers - We aim to continually strengthen the corn industry by training AEWs on various corn production technologies. They will then enhance the skills and capabilities of corn farmers towards greater productivity.
- National Corn Congress - In partnership with the DA and the Philippine Maize Federation since 2004, we convene corn industry stakeholders annually to generate new insights and recommendations towards enhanced competitiveness.
- National Corn Quality Achievers Award - Through this awards program launched in 2012, we aim to recognize the LGUs and DA-Regional Field Offices with noteworthy performance in the promotion and development of the corn sector, production of safe and quality corn, enhancement of participation from corn clusters and strengthening the partnership between DA and LGUs.
- Training Programs & Seminars on Cassava - We also work towards the enhancement of capabilities of our farmers through training activities and seminars on various cassava technologies from production to processing.
- National Quality Cassava Achievers Award - In promoting the development of the cassava industry in the Philippines, we hold this annual undertaking to showcase the achievements of our cassava stakeholders and highlight the good practices in this industry.
3. High Value Crops
- Training Programs on Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) - We ensure continuous learning among our farmers in terms of applying GAP methods and techniques in the production of cacao, banana, mango, highland vegetables, lowland vegetables, and other high value crops.
- School-on-the-Air - We offer season-long training courses aired through radio to enhance the skills and knowledge of farmers on the various production technologies for high value crops.
- Training of Trainers - We provide training programs for AEWs who will capacitate high value crop farmers on various production processes including mechanization and postharvest technology.
4. Organic Agriculture
- Capability-building Programs - To ensure the development in the practice of organic agriculture in the country in line with the Organic Agriculture Act of 2010 (Republic Act No. 10068), we provide support to and conduct seminars and training activities on organic farming leading to National Certificate II in collaboration with TESDA. We also support the establishment of Learning Sites in Indigenous Peoples’ community.
- School-on-the-Air - Like in our other commodity-based training programs, we use radio to equip organic farming practitioners with the knowledge and skills they need to achieve competitiveness and sustainability.
- National Organic Agriculture Congress - In collaboration with the DA and the Bureau of Agriculture and Fishery Standards, we gather various stakeholders in organic agriculture in this annual event launched in 2003 to promote sustainable and healthy farming and showcase success stories of organic farming practitioners.
- Extension Grants for Extension Service Providers - Pursuant to the Organic Agriculture Act of 2010, we accredit private ESPs to provide a variety of extension activities to the stakeholders on organic agriculture as well as hasten and improve public-private partnership on extension services. See also Extension Service Providers (ESPs) under Extension Programs, Projects, and Partnerships.
5. Urban Agriculture
- Street Caravans - In line with the ATIng Gulayan ng DA initiative, we hold seminar series in barangays in different cities to engage households in the food sustainability efforts. We also visit schools to raise the awareness of the students about farming and increase their appreciation towards agriculture as a viable source of food and sustenance of the next generations.
We ensure the continuous development of the livestock industry through our various training initiatives that provide the stakeholders with up-to-date knowledge, attitude and skills on Halal, pig husbandry and others.
7. Social Technologies
- Extension Management - Through the provision of training, we equip the staff from Local Government Units (LGUs) with working knowledge and skills to become effective leaders and extension managers in adapting to change, overcoming resistance, and adopting innovative and efficient management techniques to remain high performers.
- Soft Skills Development - We intend to help Municipal Agriculturists enhance their soft skills, which are their personal attributes that enable them to interact effectively and harmoniously with other people. Through training, we aim to improve their proficiency in understanding perceptions and personalities; building influence; improving teamwork and collaboration; and expanding their skills in communication, facilitation, and negotiation.
- Farm Business School - We capacitate small-scale farmers through training and seminars on entrepreneurship development and market access funded by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- Agri Mechanization - By virtue of Republic Act 10601 or the Agriculture and Fisheries Mechanization (AFMech) Law, we provide support services to promote the development and adoption of modern, appropriate, cost-effective, and environmentally safe agricultural and fisheries machinery and equipment. We train farmers, fishers, manufacturers, extension workers, agricultural engineers, technicians, and operators on agri-fisheries mechanization for productivity and efficiency enhancement.
- Gender and Development - Pursuant to Republic Act 7192 or Women in Development and Nation Building Act of 1992, we provide learning opportunities for women in agriculture.
- Early Child Care Development Program - As an effort to remind and make parents understand the roles and responsibilities in shaping their children's future, we conduct capability-building activities to agriculture extension workers and rural women about the value of discipline and responsibilities as well as practical tips on child rearing.
- Special Concerns Program - Recognizing the contribution of the persons with disabilities, senior citizens, and indigenous people in nation building, we conduct a series of lectures and training on sustainable agriculture and livelihood improvement.